The season premiere of “Breaking Pointe” has just been moved up to July 22. We can hardly wait to find out what’s in store this time around. In the meantime, we’re fantasizing with our fingers crossed about a few things we hope to see:
1. Footage of Jewels. Ballet West performed the full ballet for the first time this April, and we’d love to go into some rehearsals and get a peek behind the curtain. Beckanne Sisk in the lead of “Rubies”? We bet she’s pretty great.
2. Speaking of Beckanne, we want to see her let her guard down a bit more in front of the cameras. Last season, she was exquisite and elegant and polite, but she didn’t quite seem like a real person. Luckily, in an interview she gave for Pointe’s June/July issue, she told me, “This season is gonna be a lot different—you really see a whole new side to me. I didn’t notice the cameras nearly as much this time; I just did my own thing and didn’t bite my tongue as much. Which could end up being a good thing or a bad thing.”
3. Hopefully they show us more crazy dancer-ness, like Allison and Katie sacrificing a kitchen table so that they can have a “stretching room” in their house!
4. From the trailer (below), it looks like Ronnie gets seriously injured. This is such a huge and horrible part of a dancer’s life. We hope the producers really show how he handles the setback and what he does to help his body recover without making the drama of this experience silly. (Remember how they repeated Rex’s fall so many times one episode last season they might as well have created a gif?)
5. Most of all, we hope dancers truly embrace the show. Yes, it’s reality TV and overdramatized and obsessed with The Allison & Rex Story. But it’s being streamed into the homes of people who think that ballet dancers put their fingers on top of their heads in fifth position. If Allison and Rex are what it takes to get them interested in Balanchine and Ashton, we’ll take it.