7 Things Only Ballet Dancers Can Understand
We all have different training but for dancers, some things are universal. Ballet dancers, with our early and intense training, and shared relationship to pointe shoes and Western classicism, are some of the only people who can truly understand what each other is going through. Which of the following do you relate to?
- We love when the audience gasps from the thrill of a grand battement, but we’d rather they cry from the beauty of a tendu.
- The feeling of invincibility arising from a perfectly broken-in pair of pointe shoes.
- The feeling of panic arising from a piece of white plastic lodged in your eye during Snow.
- Ballet is not for the faint of heart.
- We are athletes but we only compete against ourselves.
- When your ballet dreams are perfect and then you wake up to reality.
- When the reality of your performance exceeds your wildest dreams.