SFB Soloist Jennifer Stahl's Crunchy Kale Recipe
Everybody seems crazy for kale right now. Some experts even argue that it’s the superfood of superfoods. One cup has only 33 calories, but contains over 100 percent of your daily value of vitamin C, 200 percent of vitamin A, 10 percent each of folate and calcium, and even a couple grams of protein. But the vegetable in its raw form can be a bit rough (it’s known as a go-to digestive aid for a reason). How can you make it tastier? San Francisco Ballet soloist Jennifer Stahl (not this author, we just share the same name!) fries them up into crunchy chips. Here’s her recipe, which she recently shared with Pointe:
1. Chop one bunch of kale into inch-long strips.
2. Heat coconut or olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
3. Add minced garlic cloves to the oil. (Stahl loves garlic, so she adds three or four cloves, but others may prefer just two.) Let garlic brown slightly.
4. Add chopped kale.
5. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon (or more if you love lemon!) onto kale.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Stir for just a few minutes until kale softens. Remove from heat, cool and enjoy!