Ballerina Chef Shelby Elsbree's Muesli Muffins Recipe
Long days in the studio or theater require lots of water to prevent dehydration—and tasty snacks to stay energized! Try this recipe for muesli muffins from the Royal Danish Ballet’s multi-talented Shelby Elsbree: “Nuts and fruits can get monotonous. I decided that I should concoct a ‘Power Snack’ to enjoy during our short intermissions. I came up with these multi-berry, high energy muesli muffins. They have an optimum combo of powerful, tasty ingredients in every bite.”
1 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup finely chopped bananas
2/3 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups homemade or store bought Muesli (granola) Mix
1/2 cup dried blueberries (or your preferred dried fruit, I used dried cranberries & blueberries)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk together flour, flaxseed, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl, set aside.
2. Put butter and brown sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing until combined after each one. Add bananas, applesauce, and vanilla; mix until combined. Reduce speed to low.
3. Add flour mixture until just combined. Stir in 3/4 cup muesli and the blueberries (dried fruit).
4. Line 10 cups of a standard (12-cup) muffin tin with paper liners. Divide batter among cups, filling to rims. Sprinkle tops with remaining 1/2 cup muesli.
5. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until a knife inserted into centers comes out clean. Let cool completely in tin on a wire rack.